02 August 2009

White Sands, NM

First off, please excuse the scratches in the sky area of the photograph. This is a scan from a silver gelatin print that I had been carrying around with me in my camera bag. I'll post a new scan as soon as I make a new print.

This is a photo of storm clouds blowing in over the sand dunes at White Sands N.M. in New Mexico. The storm that was approaching brought along winds that were so strong, it blew my tent completely over, with me and my 50lb pack inside trying to weigh it down! For about an hour and a half after that, I had to literally lay back against the side of the tent where the wind was blowing in order to keep my tent upright. That was still a nice change of pace compared to the scorching heat that had consumed the day. The air temperature in the shade was about 105-110 F according to the park staff. That translates, when you consider there really is no shade out in the dunes, and the blinding sun is reflecting off the white sand, to being really freaking HOT. The water was coming out of me as fast as I could get it in. At one point the sweat was dripping off my face so profusely that it made it damn near impossible to change the roll of film without dripping all over it or the inside of my camera.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT stuff Greg!!
    I sure miss our photo shoots together!
    I really need to get out and shoot some pics myself and I also need to scan some of my old pic to the PC. I have some pretty good steet shots from Detroit and D. C.

    ReplyDelete